Tuesday 16 December 2014

Wake up call

Kim made a really good point the other day. She told me, "all the doctor said is, 'in 6 years something bad might happen to you'."

This resonated with me. None of us is guaranteed anything but in our day to day we can get super stressed out about stupid little things and forget to appreciate the good things. This morning for example, my 3 year old Calliah got up and came into our room. Typically I would shoo her away and try and get back to sleep. Instead I brought her in to bed and cuddled her extra hard and had a fun little conversation with her. This only cost me about 15 minutes of sleep but was worth so much more in terms of being a dad. 

A couple of years ago my friend Tyler and I hit a moose on our way to referee a hockey game. We easily could have been killed that night but weren't. Everything since then should have felt like a bonus to me but we get back into our normal day to day lethargy and forget to enjoy this limited life.
Our mortality is a real bummer but being awakened to it is sure a great way to remember to get the most out of the life we are given. 

Don't get me wrong, I've been really anxious and upset at times this past month but I'm usually able to find something positive to get me back on board. Sometimes it's a research study that gives me some hope, sometimes it's a survivor story and other times it's the fact that if things don't work out I won't have to endure this seemingly endless rebuild the Oilers are trying to put me through. 

The next step is getting a port inserted into my chest so that chemo is easier to do. This will be on Friday and I was pretty nervous about it. Fortunately my mom connected me with a local police officer that underwent treatment last year for colon cancer and he really put my mind at ease.

Stay healthy and happy and we'll chat soon. 

4 comments:

  1. Thank u sooooo much for taking the time to blog & share your life with us .... I check all the time for updates .... I feel almost addicted to reading about u .... U r an amazing young man .... U r 100% right ...100% of the time ..... Hard to say that to a man but its the truth ! U & your family are in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank u sooooo much for taking the time to blog & share your life with us .... I check all the time for updates .... I feel almost addicted to reading about u .... U r an amazing young man .... U r 100% right ...100% of the time ..... Hard to say that to a man but its the truth ! U & your family are in my prayers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Chrismas Colin ... U are in my prayers .... 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  4. That port really comes in handy. Hang in there! I've had two ports now. It's an easy procedure. You'll have a cool scar. It will make getting your chemo so much easier

    ReplyDelete